Invalid e-mail and password combination.
Print this page

General Topics

Translation: EN FR ES DE
I recently did a wedding, the boutonieres called for small succulent to be used , the only way I could get real succulents was to buy them potted. I thought I would pull them out wash off the dirt, wire and tape them.As I was working on them I realized maybe I shouldn't have washed the stems, as the leaves were starting to fill with water and breaking off!!!! which of course would normal as they would have absorbed the water.  The last time I used succulents I bought artifical, no problem.  HELP, I have another wedding coming up, that calls for the same style.  How should I treat the succulents so this doesnt happen again?.  Has anyone ran across this same problem?

Post rating (0 rating | 0 votes) 
By: Spud - Member Since: 2012-11-01
Sort Replies by : Date    Top Rated
Translation: EN FR ES DE
This is a common problem for sure. Succulents are grown in ultra dry conditions and so they're by nature designed to suck in water and hold it at all costs. So you are correct, watering or even spraying the succulents is not advised. If there is earth or dirt to remove, it's better to use a slightly damp cloth. 

Also, because desperately thirsty animals tend to bite or break off pieces, succulents are also designed by nature to allow for pieces to easily break off without affecting the whole too much. Some varieties are more fragile than others, but not to worry. Using metal wiring and floral tape will help strengthen the structure quite a bit. You can secure it using floral tape. Here is a video that can help you!
(Just copy and paste the link in your browser)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkanbDB1A5k

Louise :)
Post rating (0 rating | 0 votes) 
By: Sierra Staff - Member Since: 2011-01-12
Sierra Flower Finder is dedicated to the professional floral community by Sierra Flower Trading. Through this collaborative site, we are creating the opportunity for breeders, growers, wholesalers and florists to share their knowledge and passion for the incredible diversity of flowers that make our industry so unique.