Invalid e-mail and password combination.
Print this page

General Topics

Translation: EN FR ES DE
Has anyone noticed a problem trying to get blue iris' to open.  In years past, I would occassionally have a problem and maybe 1 or 2 in a bunch would not open.  It seems to be the norm now and not the exception.  We give them a fresh cut and put the stems in ice water and leave sitting out at room temp.  Any feedback or suggestions?
Post rating (0 rating | 0 votes) 
By: JamieH - Member Since: 2014-05-14
Sort Replies by : Date    Top Rated
Hi Jaime, 
We haven't noticed any particular quality trends in Iris, in fact the quality has been consistent in the past few months.
I would suggest using room temperature water and ensure you are using flower food. For some bulb flowers, it has been suggested that avoiding the use of floral food can help with vase life, but we use floral food with Lilies, Gerbera and Iris and have found that it still extends vase life and helps the flower regain health faster upon their first drink. 
Finally, be sure to ask your wholesaler for a date code of when the Irises were delivered to them. The freshest Irises are of course more likely to open and be healthier. 
Hope that helps!
Louise
By: Sierra Staff - Member Since: 2011-01-12
Louise....thank you so much for responding to my question.  It was my supplier that told me to use ice water....maybe I'll go back to using room temperature water and finding a new supplier.  It is a challenge sometimes to find a wholesaler that rotates their product properly...we are very vigilant in watching what comes in daily.  I was also wondering if maybe farms are not allowing the iris' to mature properly and maybe cutting them too soon in order to distribute to the increased number of markets that are being served.

Thank you again for taking the time to address my concerns.  Sierraflowerfinder has been a wonderful resource for me and my shop.  It is the only flower resource tool that I use consistently to aid in my own research and to coordinate with my suppliers and even with my customers.
By: JamieH - Member Since: 2014-05-14
Sierra Flower Finder is dedicated to the professional floral community by Sierra Flower Trading. Through this collaborative site, we are creating the opportunity for breeders, growers, wholesalers and florists to share their knowledge and passion for the incredible diversity of flowers that make our industry so unique.