Invalid e-mail and password combination.
Print this page

Proteas and Leucadendrons Discussions

Translation: EN FR ES DE
I love pink mink protea!  But they rarely open for me.  But when they do - WOW!  Is there a special trick in processing to encourage this?
Post rating (0 rating | 0 votes) 
By: Mel319 - Member Since: 2011-11-16
Sort Replies by : Date    Top Rated
As always, you need to buy them fresh. If the foliage is blackened, they may be old or have suffered from excessive cold storage.
We treat our proteas the same way as our roses. Cut, treat with "Quick Dip" for a few seconds, then place them is room temperature treated water. We use "Rose Pro" solution for all our woody flowers.
By: north of 45 - Member Since: 2011-01-04
I hear the black leaves are a sign of lack of sugars at some point - which could mean old but maybe they just didn't drink the post harvest solution well. But Rose Pro has extra sugars compared to some other preservative solutions so it follows that rose pro could even prevent leaf blackening, and probably promote flower opening.
By: Alyson - Member Since: 2011-09-06
Sierra Flower Finder is dedicated to the professional floral community by Sierra Flower Trading. Through this collaborative site, we are creating the opportunity for breeders, growers, wholesalers and florists to share their knowledge and passion for the incredible diversity of flowers that make our industry so unique.